Chinese Brides: Statistics, Cost & Legality in 2022
Thousands of Chinese brides get married to American men every single year—in 2010, 1,953 Chinese ladies got K-1 visas (1,346 in 2019). Chinese brides are loyal, family-centered, intelligent, and well-mannered—but what exactly is so special about them? Let’s dig deeper into their cultural features and personality traits.
|❤️ Success Rate||85%|
|🇨🇳 Popular Chinese cities with brides||Shanghai, Beijing, Tianjin, Guangzhou|
|💰 Average cost of Chinese bride||$1,200 – $4,400|
|⌛ Average age of Chinese bride||25 y.o.|
|💔 Divorce rate||15%|
6 Best Chinese Mail Order Brides & Dating Websites to Meet Love in 2022
Chinese wives statistics: Facts you didn’t know about Chinese girls
What you should know about Chinese women? Sometimes, figures can tell you more than words, so let’s take a look at some facts and statistics:
- In 1978, there was not a single interracial marriage registered in China, but the number of Chinese marrying foreigners has risen, with 53,000 such couples getting married in 2012.
- There, the marriage rate was 8.3 per 1,000 people — significantly higher than the OECD average of 4.8, which, however, is, in part, explained by the social pressure.
- About 86% of Chinese who participated in a social study (25 to 35 y. o.) confirmed that their parents put pressure on them to get married.
- Most Chinese parents are concerned when their daughters are still single after the age of 23, so a 27 Chinese mail order bride is considered “too old” in China and often starts looking for foreign matches who, of course, consider her to be very young.
- The penetration rate of online dating and matchmaking in China has risen significantly from 2013 to 2019. In 2019, the penetration rate of online dating and matchmaking in China had reached about 54 percent, compared to 24.2% in 2013.
Why do China women become mail order brides?
- The attraction to foreign guys. Yes, Chinese brides easily fall for guys from the US and other western countries just because for them, they are hotter than local men. This works especially for White men—according to various sources and studies, they get much more interactions from Asian women on online dating apps than other men. That “Yellow fever” thing is a two-way street; that’s why Chinese mail order brides think it’s a good idea to date foreign men.
- Desire to start a family and have children. Many Chinese women are quite traditional and “family-oriented,” e.g, focused on marriage, while it’s typical for young Chinese men to delay getting married. College-educated young Chinese people between 25-29 are likely to be single—this makes young Chinese brides who have more traditional views on family and marriage think about marrying a foreign guy.
- Seeking respect. A Chinese mail order bride can be a bit conservative and family-minded, but she is likely to look for a husband who’ll treat her with respect, too. Many girls from China are just seeking actual equality without abandoning some traditional views of gender roles, though.
Find a Chinese wife online
Do you want to watch?
Do you want to watch?
Do you want to watch?
Is it legal to buy a Chinese bride?
Can you buy a Chinese wife? It’s impossible, and even if it was, it would be illegal. Anyway, that’s not how things work in reality. If you want to meet a Chinese bride and marry her, you can use one of the niche online dating platforms that have many members from China, communicate with ladies, start dating one of them, meet in real life, and if you feel it’s the right step to take, marry her. Note that your future wife will need to apply for a K-1 visa, and she won’t get it if you fail to prove that your relationships are authentic and that you’ve met in real life within 2 years.
As for the K-1 visa, it’s not the only way you can go—there is also a CR-1 visa, which can be used for Chinese mail order wives. Still, the K-1 visa is much more common when it comes to American-Chinese foreign marriages. Here’s how much the K-1 visa costs:
- The fee for Form I-129F is $535
- A medical exam typically costs around $200
- The fee for the K-1 application is $265
- Adjustment of status (I-485 Form)—$1,140
- Total—around $2,220
How much does it cost to buy a bride from China?
Let’s say you’ve decided to meet single Chinese women online, find a special girl, start dating and marry her. How much will you pay for that? The costs vary just because, as we’ve noted previously, you don’t purchase a Chinese wife—you pay for a wide range of services, from online dating services to flights to China. Still, we can take a look at the major expenditures.
The price you will pay for only dating services depends on the site that you choose and how you use it. Let us explain—some Chinese mail order sites use the credit system (you buy credits and spend them on any tools and services you’d like to use right now) and some offer various premium membership plans. Let’s take one credit-based dating platform with Asian ladies and see how much it actually costs. After that, we’ll talk about a membership-based dating service.
We’ll take Asian Melodies first—it’s a very popular and trusted platform where you can meet Chinese girls.
- Several credit packages: from $3 (20 credits) to $150 (750 credits)
- The more credits you buy at once, the less you spend for 1 credit
- Users can save money by not using the services they don’t need
- Several online communication methods, from cheap ones like live chat (2 credits/minute) to mails (30 credits)
Now, let’s take a membership-based dating website with single Chinese ladies—let it be ChinaLoveCupid website.
- Several membership options: Gold ($30 per month) and Platinum ($35 per month)
- The users can’t control their spendings
- You pay for all the services available on the dating site, not for the ones you need
- The price is fixed
A small table to conclude what we’ve just said:
|Opportunity to save money||Yes||No|
The cost of meeting your future Chinese wife IRL
How much does it cost to go to China for 2 weeks? Here are the expenditures:
|Airfare (1 round trip)||$800|
|Hotel (for 14 days)||$600|
|Food (14 days)||$300|
|Local transportation (14 days)||$200|
|Entertainment (14 days, for one)||$300|
One trip will cost you about $2,200. If you go to China twice, you will spend about $4,400, respectively. So, if we add the cost of online dating, we’ll get $5,600—the total “cost” of a Chinese mail order bride.
Success stories from China
Dennis and Fen
Fen, a 21-year-old student from Beijing, was disappointed in men from her country—she thought they weren’t serious and didn’t want serious relationships.
That’s why she tried one of those mail order bride services—and that’s why she wanted to meet Western men. Dennis, in turn, has always been impressed by Asian beauty, Chinese culture, and the manners of Chinese people—that’s the main reason why he wanted to meet Chinese ladies.
They met on EasternHoneys in 2020—both Dennis and Fen had very serious intentions, so by the time they met, these two had already decided they were going to marry! Fen managed to get a K-1 visa only at the end of 2021 because of the situation with embassies, but today, they are as happy as they can be!
John and Ai
They met on AsianMelodies in 2018—both John and Ai didn’t look for a future spouse there, they just wanted to have some fun.
In 2019, they met 3 times—in China and in the Philippines—and after that, they decided they wanted to spend the rest of their lives together. When John proposed to her, Ai was not 100% sure—but she still said yes.
Today, they live in Phoenix, AZ—Ai got a green card in 2020 and now works in the same company as John. They live in a big house, plan for a baby, and look really happy together.
What are Chinese women for marriage really like?
We bet you have heard a lot about the exotic attractiveness of Asian women for marriage. But what exactly makes them special? Let’s talk about their national character and personality traits in more detail.
So if you want to find a Chinese wife, the first thing you should know is that have always been two types of Chinese women: modern and traditional. A modern Chinese girl is more career-driven. She is a hard worker, she is ambitious, and she is building her career path. A traditional Chinese wife is pretty shy, a bit conservative, very considerate about her family, and she always puts it first.
But today, there is no clear border between these types of women—modern Chinese wives combine their traditional cultural values with their independence and ambitions.
That’s not all you have to know about Chinese girls for marriage. Let’s continue.
Manners of a typical Chinese lady
Chinese culture is among the oldest ones in the world, and the Chinese concept of etiquette and politeness is rooted in the times even before Confucianism was developed. For you, it means that your Chinese bride will know all the important norms of behavior and will act with the utmost grace. Modesty is an unspoken rule in Chinese culture, as it also does for Japanese mail order wives.
Their devotion to the family
Family is a priority for a Chinese girl. For thousands of years, the family unit has been considered to be the most central institution in China. For Chinese people, the family forms the basis for all social organizations. Obviously, a Chinese wife is expected to make her husband happy, but it’s not only about this. It’s also about respect for elders.
What we’re talking about here is filial piety, a traditional Confucian virtue of respect for one’s parents. The filial piety practice is going through changes, obviously—thus, the communication with parents/elders is more about exhibiting kindness in return for love instead of exhibiting dominance in return for obedience today. But the idea of respect toward parents and elders is still a key value in China.
Loyalty and faithfulness of a Chinese mail order brides
Chinese brides are loyal to their partners. We’ll let the numbers speak:
- 4.5% of Chinese women cheated on their husbands/boyfriends
- 13% of American women cheated on their husbands/boyfriends
That’s all you need to know about it, actually.
Attitude towards health
Beautiful Chinese women are very healthy. The World Population Review claims that the obesity rate in Chine is 6.2%, considering that there is 1.5 billion population. Chinese girls love to be in good shape as they are very active and have various sports hobbies and interests. So, your girlfriend is likely to cook healthy food and consider the nutritional value of the products.
They are really serious about getting married ASAP
Just a few words for you to understand how important it is for modern Chinese women to get married in their 20s: there is a term sheng nu in this country, which can be translated as “leftover women.”
This term is often used to stigmatize women who remain unmarried in their late 20s—if a Chinese woman doesn’t get married until, say, 26 years old, they’ll call her leftover! Modern Chinese women are very serious about getting married because they were raised this way and because of pressure from parents, relatives, and society.
Such a pressure (Cui Hun) leads to Shanhun (= shotgun weddings), to the rise of offline and online “marriage markets” in China, and, of course, to the increased popularity of mail order bride websites in this country.
They are very independent…
…and that’s not always a good thing. On the one hand, Chinese mail order brides are very strong and able to cope with almost every problem. On the other hand, it’s not because they want it; it’s because they have no other choice.
The point is, there is a social stigma related to help to seek in modern China, and this stigma affects the lives of modern Chinese brides. Family problems are considered a personal failure of a woman in modern China, and seeking help is considered the same thing as being unable to fulfil the role of a good wife/mother.
We highly recommend you pay attention to all the relationship/family problems and troubles—your Chinese bride will never ask you for help, but she will gladly receive it from you. That’s how you’ll help both her and your relationship, and that’s how you’ll show her that you really differ from Chinese men.
How to treat a Chinese bride?
There are some important aspects you need to learn first in order to make it work and build a long-lasting relationship with a Chinese woman.
- Do not meet her parents if there is nothing serious going on, and you are not planning on marrying her. Marriage is an incredibly serious and important step for a Chinese girl, as it’s for a Turkish mail order bride. This is considered a life-changing decision.
- Be serious about your relationship. Do not play games and betray her trust. Chinese girls are genuine in their feelings, and if they get into a relationship with you, they will really like you and want to continue strengthening your relationship.
- Do not suppress her in any way. That’s the same attitude she can find in her own country, and that’s exactly why most modern Chinese brides search for a foreign partner. Give her freedom of choice and action!
- Show her that you’re a reliable man. Chinese society is still patriarchal, so the traditional, classic gender roles are still quite common in this country (especially when we’re talking about family-centered ladies). You need to be a strong, reliable, and trusted man to gain her respect.
- Be honest and be ready for straightforwardness. Chinese brides are always sincere, and they do not play games—if they don’t like something, they’ll tell you about it, and if they want to know something, they won’t see it as rude asking you about it. They are not “rude”; that’s just how their culture works—you don’t have to “read the air” in China (unlike in Japan).
Find Chinese girls for marriage online
Do you want to watch?
Do you want to watch?
Do you want to watch?
Here are some well-known Chinese celebrities:
- Fan Bingbing – Chinese actress, model, singer, and TV producer. She has multiple TV and fashion awards. She is the owner and founder of the cosmetics brand Fan Beauty Secret. Besides, she is also an ambassador for Chopard.
- Zhang Zilin – Chinese actress, fashion model, and singer. She won Miss China World 2007 and later was crowned Miss World 2007.
- Zhang Ziyi – Chinese model and actress with multiple awards. She is a brand ambassador for Clé de Peau Beauté and a global ambassador for the Children of China Pediatrics Foundation.
International celebrities with Chinese roots:
- Lucy Liu – American actress, director, and artist. She has multiple awards in the film industry. Besides, she is an ambassador for the U.S. Fund for UNICEF.
- Olivia Munn – American actress and activist. She has a degree in television journalism. Also, she has a black belt in Taekwondo.
- Vera Wang – American fashion designer. She went from being an editor in Vogue to owning a multimillion-dollar bridal wear company called Vera Wang.
Chinese wives scams
The world of online dating is incredible, but not always safe. Read the information below to protect yourself and your money.
❗ Data theft
When you sign up for a website where you can meet your future Chinese wife, you inevitably provide some data—your email address, sometimes, your phone number, and your financial information (when paying for a premium membership plan or buying credits). You need to choose a safe website that uses great data encryption software—that’s the only way to protect yourself and be sure that your information won’t be stolen.
❗ “I’m in trouble and need money”
Here is what you should know about the Chinese dating culture and culture at large—a Chinese lady won’t ask you to send money. If a Chinese girl you like tells you about her problems, usually some kind of emergency, and asks you to send her a pretty large amount of money, it’s just a scam—the most common online dating fraud method, to be exact. Just remember that there is no exception to this rule.
❗ Fake brides
So, you see hot Chinese brides registered on the site, but are you sure they are real? Use Google search by image, look for that verified badge, and use video chat to make sure that no one pretends to be a hot Asian girl to get your money.
Photoshop and Instagram filters can change the way a person looks completely. As you’ve probably heard, Asian women love beauty products and programs that change their appearance, so we recommend using video chat to make sure that your future Chinese wife looks exactly like her photos.
❗ Membership scam
Hidden costs and auto-renewal membership can become a problem, so analyze the site’s pricing and billing policies carefully before you decide to make the first payment. If the site uses the credit system, it must provide you with detailed information on the costs of every service, including live chat, watching profile videos, etc. You don’t want to realize that you’ve just spent hundreds of dollars on the tools and services you even didn’t want to use, right?
Brides for sale in China
Chinese mail order brides are very different from Western women. They still see nothing wrong with being obedient to their husbands, they care for parents, and they are extremely marriage-minded. At the same time, Chinese wives are extremely independent, hard-working, ambitious, and very intelligent.
They choose a perfect wedding date governed by Tian De or Yue De, and they don’t clip fingernails at night because this can, well, invite ghosts. But at the same time, they enjoy new freedoms, they get a better education than Chinese men, and they are very confident and practical.
That’s why Chinese mail order brides are often considered exotic—not because of their looks but because they combine traditional values and modern ideas, Confucian philosophy and gender equality concepts, conservative views on family roles, and shift from the role of a woman as an obedient servant to their husband. These women are great—and you have a great opportunity to meet them without even leaving your home.
Yes. Chinese women live in a traditional society under the influence of Confucianism—and according to Confucian concepts, a wife must always be faithful and loyal to her husband. It’s not only about Confucianism, of course—Chinese culture is laced with the concepts of loyalty in family and relationships.
Yes, why not? There are dozens of great Chinese mail order bride websites, and there are tens of thousands of women from China who are interested in meeting a foreign man. You just need to choose a website and create a profile, that’s it.
Chinese women are intelligent and hard-working, well-mannered and loyal to their partners, and of course, they are just very attractive. If that sounds like a good choice for serious relationships to you, you should consider Asia your best dating region.